Monday, April 26, 2010

Aaltonen - Donner

Why am I doing this?
Here is an album that is hopelessly, tragically rare. But I've listened to it for hours and hours over the years and I can't believe how much I can still find in it that's beautiful. Somewhere out in the world there are hundreds of people who can slap the record on to their turntable and listen in privacy too. But because I have small children and worry a lot about the state of the world we're leaving for them, I think this kind of cultural patrimoine (heritage that is), needs to be shared and secured for the future.

And because I'm very sentimental, and was brought up with classical music (forced on me by my dad), strings mixed with good jazz or rock really get to me-- not easy listening schmatzy ones, but tasteful string quartet or small orchestra strings, with a good backbone beat and inventive arrangements. Claus Ogerman was the master at this kind of production. Gate of Dreams is a good ex. of how he did it, I think it can found on magic purple sunshine which I respect and love deeply.

Here we have some very forward inventive fusiony jazz with progressive elements, backed by strings throughout. There are no standards, thank god, although the last song quotes the infamous jazz standard 'my one and only love' poetically retitling it 'my next and only love' -- beautiful. The songwriting is incredible, this is why I say I can always listen to it and find something new and unexpected in it.
I hope those who read this also find something new and unexpected.

And grab it while you can!!!! (the next ten minutes?)

My next and only love...

11 comments:

Tristan Stefan said...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6JHNOGFF

Sadness said...

Thanks again tristan..My children luckily follows in dads footsteps..they like the elde more than the modern..youngest one thought this was great..she is 11.
all best

Henri said...

I think tracks 1 and #2 are missing. Nevertheless great music.

Tristan Stefan said...

Actually, the first 2 trax are not missing. The first track is number 3 only due to the way I ripped this to mp3. In fact if you look at the total length of the album it's obvious, at over 40 minutes, it's a full album.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this beautiful music.
I hope you'll post more of this artist latter. He deserves to be more known.

peskypesky said...

this is FANTASTIC! love it! thank you once again for turning me onto a rare gem.

peskypesky said...

http://inconstantsol.blogspot.com/2007/04/reggie-workmanandrew-cyrille-juhani.html

more Aaltonen

peskypesky said...

http://unobtainables.blogspot.com/2009/09/finn-free.html

more Aatonen

Werner said...

What a nice album. Risky & jazzy.
Sadly link is not working.
Could you repost it?
Thanks!

isabelbc said...

new link http://netkups.com/?d=0d561f73eb463

jim said...

Tristan Stefan, any chance for a new link?

Post a Comment