Wednesday, October 18, 2006

David Darling: “Cello” {USA} [1991] @VBR (Intense and Beautiful Experimental Solo Cello)

Please, do yourself a favor and download this album.
It deserves some serious and deep listening.

David Darling was born in 1941 in Indiana, USA. He had classical training as a cellist since the age of 10.

In 1970 Darling joined the internationally acclaimed Paul Winter Consort, an experience that widened his musical horizons beyond the frames of jazz and classical music.

After nine more years of experimentations with Paul Winter and his musicians (the same group of virtuosos that later would become Oregon), Darling participated in Ralph Towner’s album “Old friends, New Friends” for for the influential ECM records. His performance called the attention of ECM owner and producer, the visionary Manfred Eicher. Thus, a fruitful relation between David Darling and this excellent label gave birth to several albums with some of the big names of European jazz like Ketil Bjornstad, Terje Rypdal, Jan Garbarek, Niels Peter Mollvaer, etc. Heeventually did something that not many cellists would dare to do: a couple of Solo cello albums.

I have selected one of those for you, from 1991, called simply: “Cello”

Some of you are robably used to listen to rock bands or jazz ensembles and thus, might think that a solo cello album could be something a bit dry and even boring. I’d say you need to give this one a chance. The blend of electric and acoustic cellos creates an off-world texture that feels like a slow, profound, thick and beautiful flow.

David Darling’s music brings to one’s mindç oceans, forests, incredibly wide, expansive and overwhelmingly poetical landscapes over which one’s mind could float and wander.

This might be an extreme psychedelic experience, although no one would called this album psychedelic.

Is it classical music?
Is it avant-garde?
I am not sure.

Surely it is extremely well crafted and intensely played. There are not many albums like this one.

I am sure you’ll enjoy it.

Be well and…


Keep Listening...!!!


David Darling - Darkwood I...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - extremly strong and foreign stuff.

Very good. Thank you.

Recommanded !!!

EelaFree said...

brilliant.

Ahh.K.Rhajjo said...

Pana....el mejor camaròn que me echado en mucho tiempo...!!

Que vaina tan sublime.
Me sentì en el cello.

Anonymous said...

Hello, good people.....

I'm in this blog day in day out and I dig almost all posts I have found in this page.....

So when I look and see a special CELLO album I thought I've been found a more strong and fair album...(The ONE who explores all cello's sound and beauty)

Fogive me when ...eehrr.....I tell you the true....eehrrr.....for me this album sounds a bit boring and too slow.....I know some people will hate me when read this review. But I just speak my mind out.....

Good Vibrations for Everyone...

Carlos Harrison - SP - Brazil

EelaFree said...

''It deserves some serious and deep listening.'',

please listen up to David Darling – Indiana Indian once again.

Anonymous said...

Hello good people....

Ok, my friend.....

I'll do it again......
I'll listen to this album very carefully next weekend and maybe I'll change my mind.....

My mistake was listen to this album with the sound of the New Trolls' Concerto Grosso I, track 01, ALLEGRO...something like Vivaldi...in my head!!!

Anyway I do appreciate your attention and care with each member at his blog, EelaFree !!!!
'Cause we're all good people and we're on it just for a true need of REAL GOOD MUSIC....

Good Vibrations for Everyone!!

Carlos Harrison - SP - Brazil

johnc said...

Masterpiece of solo cello music, minimalist and excellent in every way. Great production job from ECM.

Post a Comment